Friday, August 15, 2008

Start to De-brick my WRT54G episode 1

After bricking my router two weeks ago, I still haven't have time to de-brick it. With so many tutorial on the web, I don't know which one to follow. So I just grab some and follow. Seems like they are almost the same. I've already tried method to debrick by just using the reset button. But to no avail. So I have to use more risky route to de-brick the router.

According to http://www.thenorth.com/apblog4.nsf/0/668D65A56B02BB4B852570A400535F16 , he said, "Once you've upgraded and are running, I've never seen one brick." That's absolutely wrong. I've used DD-WRT firmware for few years. And only last two weeks, I got it bricked while not upgrading firmware. What I did is I just keep on resetting the router wirelessly using the dd-wrt page (the setting page in web browser access with 192.168.1.1). And it seems like it failed to reset. And I power it off and on again. Later, what you see is:

The power indicator keep on flashing while all the Ethernet light are turned on. According to http://www.brayl.com/WRT54GL%20Debrick/index.htm , "If all the Eathernet LEDs stay lit then you need to reload the cfe and nvram then erase the kernel." It seems to me that this is worst kind of bricked router.

So I open up the router using this method:

Use my leg to hold the blue plate while pulling with my both hand

Mission accomplished
The look of the circuit board

Another look of the circuit board

Next : using Xilinx parrallel cable and soldering JTAG port and short some pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment