Thursday, May 10, 2007

May Leong advice.....

Think Before Passing Unfair Judgements
Dec 3, '06 6:19 AMfor everyone
Recent incidents have got me thinking about a few things and pondering on the effects on people who suffered from improper judgements made by others.
We're brought up in a world which has taught us limitations, restrictions and even pain. Most likely we got this information from our own parents, teachers and others, media. Sometimes, we over generalize or criticise things and make simple things become big issues. Most innocent people suffer from low self-esteem and low confidence, mostly due to the stereotypical thinking of others. I believe almost everyone of us do get these judgements or pass judgements (unintentionally/intentionally) at others at different times in our lives.
Just yesterday, I was getting into my home elevator going downstairs. At the same time, a couple walked in as well. They're 2 lesbians, whom I believe 1 of them is staying at the same block as I do. Both of them seem loving & close. After we all got out of the lift, they went off to a different direction. I started to wonder how many people have passed judgements on them and how this couple have endured. Then I came to a conclusion that the couple wouldn't have really cared about what others say.
In this society, prejudice and discrimination still exist. It's heartbreaking to see the extreme negative effects of the 2 and how they could destroy innocent lives. Just remember WW2 when all the Jews were killed. I thank God that I'm not living in a country that has racial unrest. However, throughout my life, I get judged by people who looked down on my family, my jobs, my career path, my financial status, my appearance, my figure, my character, my performance, the way I carry myself etc etc... the list goes on... Some people would think they're actually "helping", but in fact, they're not really doing anything beneficial. I own my life and only I have the responsibility to live my life. I don't have to listen to anyone's criticisms or "comments" or "advice" when I think they're purely bullshit. I already know what shit I have and I can stand up for myself. Thank you very much. My plans are for my own to carry out and I don't have to follow others'. Of course, there are times when I look for others for guidance & appreciate their comments that can improve myself. But I pretty much would prefer others to keep their comments to themselves when I don't need them.
Sometimes, we just blare out words that may seem harmless but could mean harm to others. I think we should reflect on our own imperfections before we actually start making unfair judgements on others. But of course, I'm not saying to be overly critical or cruel to ourselves. Just think what the negative effects would there be when we start belittling others. We don't really fully understand about someone's life, so what right do we have by judging others? We may just cause another to commit suicide. Who knows, right?
I'm not being religious or anything, but I do feel that this quote from the bible is so right: "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" (Mt 7:1-2).
I posted
Christina Aguilera's song "Beautiful" in my Music page. It's my favourite song by her. The song illustrates what I'm trying to say and what I've gone through personally. Do check out her controversial video which shows some interesting scenes of a gay couple kissing and how people are often criticized and getting hurt from others' judgements. Her lyrics are just beautiful and meaningful.
For those (including me) who have suffered tremendously from unfair judgements, look into ourselves for our inner strength and let it shine out. We definitely have a worth living in this world. Care not how others have criticised us, they're just words that don't mean no thing. We definitely have the choice to how we feel, and we don't need to choose to feel hurt by what others say. And we don't have to criticise others.

No comments:

Post a Comment