Saturday, May 30, 2009

Chinese School in exchange with Equality

Recent article in NEW STRAITS TIMES (government mouthpiece) talk about the irony in Malaysia regarding unity. I quote one of the important points : "Even the most 1Malaysia-minded and progressive friend I know, a Chinese, paused when asked if he would be okay if we were to abolish all Chinese schools."

I know that the ultra-nationalist Malay always retort whether they can take away Chinese education stream whenever the Chinese asked for equality. In my opinion, if the quality of education up to the par of Chinese school and selection/promotion of teacher is according to meritocracy (for example, good teacher will get increment, so on and so forth), why not?

The problem with our education system from primary to university is that all are dominated by one race. We see that our government does not bother to get good academic staff hired in University. Just go around our public university and see. It's very obvious. Hey, its the same with our public service sector.

So when the BIG question whether I'll accept equality with the condition of single national school, hell yeah. Just bring equality to everywhere including our education system. I do think having all kids mixed in single school system will encourage early integration. Plus equality all around, I'm sure there's no more suspicion between us. After all, we are all Malaysian. We all born here. This is the place I intend to die too.

No comments:

Post a Comment