Thursday, September 20, 2007

Failure of mass media

When I'm in primary school I used to read Utusan Malaysia and occasionally Berita Harian. And when I start to grasp some English, I started to read News Straits Times and occasionally Star (because I think Star writing style is not as elegant as NST). All the news inside these newspaper I took as definitive and I always believe Barisan Nasional in taking care of us, the common people.

But ever since I got hooked into internet, I start to read jeffooi.com, malaysiakini.com etc. All this non-mainstream news enlightened me towards the state of affairs of our current government which never get reported in NST or Star. Is there a invincible string being pulled around? For example, currently a scandal involving senior lawyer in a phone conversation with the chief justice on fixing the appointment of senior judges was not highlighted in the mainstream press. This is totally unacceptable. Furthermore, Star called itself the People's Paper.

However, under the current PM, our discontent is voiced out freely (and so it seems). Hopefully there's no crackdown like Operasi Lalang. Voicing out discontent is part and parcel of democracy if its done properly. Its for the good of country and the people. People who voice out is because its for country's good and can be considered as patriotic.

Today, I talk with Chee Hong and he voice out that Malaysia is no longer mentioned in any expansion plan by big institution such as Intel, Xilinx, etc. I believe its because we have lose out in skill, cost, and some governemnt protection. We need to grow up and look ahead of us. Fight with other country and not fight among race in our own country. We need to fight for bigger pie. And not fight among us for smaller pie due to internal fight. And thus, we need to rid of discriminating policy and together we fight for the better future for Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment